- Any number, divided into two equal teams
- One plastic, disposable cup per person
- A beverage to fill the cups
- A table to stand around (one team on each side
Race the opposing team to flip all of your cups upside down first.
Divide all the players into two evenly sized teams (or more as long as they are even) and stand on either side of a large table with the teams facing each other in lines.
Everyone should have a cup filled with a beverage. On a countdown, one player on each team at one end of the table will cheers, drink their cups, then place them on the edge of the table so that it is hanging over the lip with the opening facing up.
The players will then try to flip the cup using one hand so that it lands upside down on the table. Once they successfully do this, the player on their team next to them will drink their cup and try to do the same.
Everytime someone flips their cup, it will pass to the next person all the way down the line. The next person cannot start trying to slip their cup until the person in front of them succeeds. The team that flips all of their cups first wins!
Once one team has flipped all of their cups, they win! If you are playing with more than two teams, keep going to determine second place and beyond.
Flip Cup Variations and Alternate Rules
- Maintain the Chain: Once someone has flipped their cup and passed it to the person next to them, try to avoid knocking the flipped cup off the table. If you do, play goes back to the person whose cup was knocked off. Don’t let loose cups set you back!
- Survivor: Play the game as normal, but the losing team has to vote a player off their team. The two teams then face off again. The game continues until one team eliminates all of their players!
- 21: Rather than teams racing to finish their cups, you can set a number of cups that each team needs to flip (such as 21 or any number that is convenient for the team size). When the last person in the line flips their cup, the first person begins the cycle again after refilling their cup.
Flip Cup Tips & Strategy
Try to flip your cup forward, not just up, it helps to land the cup on the open end without it falling off the table!
Does the cup have to be completely on the table?
Not at all, as long as the cup is upside down and doesn’t fall off the table, it counts!
Can other people interfere with your flip or knock your cup off the table?
No. Flip cup is a race more than a melee, focus on your flipping form rather than tampering with your opponents.
The Game Farm does not encourage or promote alcohol consumption of any kind. We do not take responsibility for any injuries, damages, or other consequences that may arise from the consumption of alcohol while playing our games.
It is the responsibility of each individual player to drink responsibly and know their limits. We recommend that players drink plenty of water and take breaks throughout the night to avoid becoming intoxicated.
If you are underage, please do not drink alcohol. Drinking alcohol underage is illegal and can have serious health consequences.
We hope you have fun playing our drinking games responsibly!