- 3+ players but three at a minimum as you need someone to your left and your right
- A set of three regular dice or a special set of LCR dice that have the dot, L, C, and R symbols to play
- Three chips per player so nine for a three person game
- The first person to get all 10 dice to the same number wins.
Additional Setup Notes
- All players should hold the dice in their hands prior to beginning.
The objective of LCR is to be the only player with chips remaining in the game.
Start by sitting in a circle on the floor or around a table. LCR stands for Left, Center, and Right, that’s why each player should have a person on either side of them. If you are playing with regular dice and not the LCR dice, you’ll need to first assign what faces are Left/ Right/ Center. We recommend going with the following:
- 1/2/3 = Dots
- 3 = Left or “L”
- 5 = Center or “C”
- 6 = Right or “R”
Next, you’ll give each person playing three chips. Now, you are ready to start playing LCR. You’ll determine who goes first by having each player roll all three dice at once. The player with the highest total score goes first, and rolls all three dice again.
In LCR, the dice will tell you what to do with each of the three chips:
- For each dot rolled, you’ll get to keep a chip.
- For each L rolled, you’ll pass a chip to the person on our left.
- For each R rolled, you’ll pass a chip to the person on our right.
If you happen to pass all chips on the first roll, don’t worry! You can keep playing as you might get more chips in the next round from players around you.
The game will continue clockwise. While it’s possible for a player to have more than three chips, they’ll still move a maximum of three chips each turn, corresponding to the dice. If you have less than three chips per turn, you’ll only roll the corresponding amount of dice. For example; if you only have a single chip left, you would only roll a single dice that round, too. If you don’t have any chips, you’ll skip the turn and continue when you have gained chips from other players in the game.
A game of LCR comes to an end when there is only one player left with chips remaining.
LCR is mostly a game of luck as you’re relying on chance to roll the most favorable combination.
- Three players are getting ready to play LCR.
- Player two rolls the highest number and starts the game.
- Player two rolls 2x Ls, and one Dot; they keep one chip and pass two chips to the player on their left.
- Player three goes next as they’re seated next to player two clockwise, and they roll three Dots, so they get to keep all three chips during that round.
- The game proceeds with each player rolling the dice and making chip transfers as dictated by the dice.
- Players continue rolling and handing out chips until only one player remains with chips in hand.
- In this round, player one manages to remain the last one with chips, and wins the game.
LCR Alternate Rules
- LCR Wild: Designate one of the die faces as W or Wild where a player rolling that face can take one chip from any player, one from two players if they roll 2x Wild, and if a player rolls all three wilds, they will immediately win the game.
- LCR Last Chip Wins: Flip the logic and aim to be the last person with one chip standing in the game. If you then roll “C”, you’ll win the game.